Pray Boldly: 10 Keys to Moving Mountains
“You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.” ~James 4
This week at dinner, our friend “John” told us some amazing news.
John has a huge heart for ministry, but his ongoing problem has been a lack of time to invest in both his job and his passion.
Recently someone encouraged him to PRAY BOLDLY for his needs: A flexible work schedule, new job description, & more income to allow him to pursue his dream! Crazy, right? I agreed.
But John asked anyway. Wow, how could he be so bold?
For one, John didn’t have impure motives. His requests were aligned with the clear calling God’s placed on his heart for years. This wasn’t “Name it & claim it”! John didn’t ask for a Lamborghini, popularity, or a lottery win so he could quit working forever.
John simply asked God to make a way so he could do what He’s calling him to do.
Soon after John prayed this, GOD ANSWERED HIS REQUESTS! Amazingly, his own managers petitioned for his cause, and he ended up with everything he prayed for, including more income!
Let me say that again: John’s bosses became his biggest advocates for him to 1) work less and 2) get paid more. Now tell me that isn’t the Lord working on his behalf?
We’re thrilled for him (and so is he)! John had a legitimate need, he asked God boldly for his “dream outcome”, and God answered his requests.
I was speechless. Then I began to wonder….
If God did that for John, why can’t He do that for you (& me)?
When we have a legitimate need, Scripture makes it clear that God wants to be our solution! He wants to be the place we run to in time of need.
I’m reminded of Jesus feeding 5,000 people in one day, with a few loaves of bread & a couple fish. Did God balk at Jesus’s request to feed all those hungry people? No way. Instead, God blessed the tiny meal Jesus gave Him after He asked for help, and thousands of bellies were filled.
Not only did God satisfy the people’s hunger that day, but He gave them an abundance in anticipation of their future needs!
This is what happens when God intervenes. It’s reasonable, even biblical, to expect Him to do the same for us!
Is there an area in your life, finances, or family that you need breakthrough in? Where do you need God to work a miracle? I have several places.
Maybe the Lord’s stretching our faith. Maybe He’s waiting for us to ask Him for a better way, for His help! We need to pray boldly & ask Him to work a miracle in our situation, like Jesus & my friend John did.
Our boldness doesn’t offend our Father. Au contraire, Scripture encourages us to be confident when we approach Him for help:
“Let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.” ~Heb. 4
Start asking God for what you need, then believe He’ll take care of it. This is how we cooperate with His plan for our lives. Just keep these in mind when praying audacious prayers:
10 Keys to Bold Prayers:
- First, get right with God & man. Sin blocks our connection to Him, and unforgiveness hinders His gracious help in our lives. Make sure you’ve forgiven others & asked God for forgiveness for your mistakes. (And husbands, treat your wives well or your prayers may be hindered.)
- Agree with His Word & will. It’s futile to pray for anything outside of His will. Also, agree with other people about your petitions – Scripture says He manifests Himself when we’re in unity!
- Believe with expectation! God responds to faith, not doubt & begging. You’re His child, not a beggar!
- Trust Him & release it. Anxiety & worry = Lack of faith. We must give Him our requests, then leave them there. He will supply our every need 🙂
- Remember we’re not alone. Jesus is praying for us in heaven, and the Holy Spirit helps us when we don’t know how to pray. Never underestimate the power of simple prayers like Help me or Please give me what I need today.
- Persevere. We must keep asking, seeking, & knocking til we have 1) resolution or 2) peace that help is on the way!
- Ask from a pure heart. Selfish & carnal motives don’t move our Father to act.
- Remember God knows our needs before we ask. He hasn’t forgotten you.
- Care for needy people. Why should God provide for us when we don’t help others? If we ignore the poor, He’ll shut His ears to our cries.
- Obey Him. Sometimes our answer comes when we obey His promptings. What’s the last thing God told you to do? Have you done it?
If you have an area you need Him to work in your life, ASK HIM for help & EXPECT ANSWERS. We never know what He’ll do if we don’t ask for His help.
Don’t wait around bitterly for God to come through for you “one day”. Take the initiative & ask Him for a breakthrough today. Stop right now, and do it! If your prayers are aligned with His will for your life, He wants to answer them! Don’t wait another day.
God’s waiting to meet our needs. We aren’t twisting His arm when we pray boldly.
… But we must ASK.
Thank you “John” for a much-needed reminder this week! 🙂